We will collect Personal Information about you from you directly, information We automatically collect from your use of the Services, and information We collect about you from other sources, described below.
- 1.1 Information We collect directly from you
- Registration information. When you create an account, you provide Us with certain Personal Information, such as your full name, email address, and password (encrypted);
- You may also create a profile, which may include your name, gender, birth date, picture and any additional bio information you chose to provide. Please note that your profile information will be visible to other users of Our Services;
- We collect your payment information (your credit card information and postal code) when you subscribe and/or purchase a certain plans (such as subscription plan); and
- You may choose to provide Us with certain information when you submit a request to Our support, respond to a survey, and participate in promotions, contests, sweepstakes and/or quizzes.
- 1.2 Information We automatically collect from your use of the Services
- We automatically collect information about how you use the Services and your activity on the Service, such as pages you view, content you view, search queries and watch-time;
- We automatically collect certain technical information about your device, such as your IP Address, geolocation information (city and country), your browser type, language, your operating system and application version, device types, device model and manufacturer, device identifier and your device operating system type and version;
- Transactional information. We automatically collect certain information about your transactions on the Services, such as amount charged, date and time; and
- 1.3 Information We collect from other sources:
- Registration through third parties.If you don’t feel like creating an account from scratch, We provide you with the option to sign in through an account you already have with another service provider (such as: Facebook and Google). The third-party service may send us information such as your name, email address, date of birth, geographic location, interest, profile picture, list of friends and any other information you have made available on these third-party services. This information is controlled by the third-party service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at the third-party service; and
- We may receive additional information about you from third party service providers and/or partners, such as demographic data and your activities on and off Our Services through partnerships.
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information We collect from you ensures you can use Our Services in a safe environment. As part of this mission, We use your information for the following purposes:
- We use your information to: enable you to access and use the Services, authenticate your identity when you log in to Our Services, personalize your experience by, for example, providing you with content based on your search and preferences, determine your general geographic location, process your payment for the Services through third party service providers, and manage the accounts you hold with Us;
- We use your information to send you promotional messages, newsletters, marketing and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences, including information about Our affiliates and partners campaigns and services upon your consent as required under local law. We, and Our third-party business partners, also use your Personal Information, on and off Our Services, to serve you with advertisements of Our Services. From time to time, We, and our third-party service providers and/or business partners, may also use your information to administrate surveys, sweepstakes, contests, referral programs or other promotional activities or events managed by Us upon your consent as required under local law;
- Communication and Customer Support. We use your information to contact you to maintain Our Services and to respond and resolve your support requests, questions and issues;
- We use your information if We think it is necessary to investigate and prevent security issues and abuse;
- In an effort to provide you with the best Services, We may use your information to conduct research and analytics for further development of the Services; and
- HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We may share your Personal Information with third parties under the following circumstances:
- We may share your information, if you consent, after letting you know what information will be shared and with whom and why;
- We share your Personal Information with Our service providers that perform business services and/or operations on Our behalf. For example, We may partner with other companies to process secure payments, content delivery services, provide authentication services, perform analytics, provide customer support platform, send newsletters and marketing emails, administer Our promotions, sweepstakes, contests, and surveys, and support email and messaging services;
- Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators and government authorities. We may share your Personal Information with these parties where We believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect Our rights or the rights of any third party; and
Our Services may contain links to other third-party websites. We encourage you to be aware of these other third-party websites and their privacy statements, as We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third-party sites.
- YOUR CHOICES AND YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- You may in some cases have the option to decline providing Us information. However, your choice to not provide information may impact your use of certain features or services. Please find below some choices you have over your Personal Information:
- You can change information about your account by accessing your Account and modifying the information listed in the ‘Edit Profile’ and/or ‘About Me’ tabs. You are not required to provide any information to Us that is unnecessary to provide the Services
- You can unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving marketing communications from Us by using the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of an automatic email, by modifying your email preferences in your “Account Settings”, or by contacting Us through Our Services. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving marketing communication, We may continue to send you non-marketing emails and other types of communications, as permitted by law, such as response to your support requests, or service email relating to your account.
- Subject to local law, you may have certain rights regarding information that We have collected and that is related to you. We encourage you to contact Us to update or correct your information if it changes or if you believe that any information that We have collected about you is inaccurate.
Please note that We will likely require additional information from you in order to honour your requests.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, send Us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.Please find below some rights applicable to certain territories:
- Rights applicable to European Union users.
- If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from E.U. or U.S. law, please note that your Personal Information may need to be processed in countries where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in your home country. Please note that We may be transferring your Personal Information to the United States, Japan, Singapore and South Korea. In such cases, We will require the recipient to provide appropriate protection for the Personal Information disclosed to it in compliance with applicable data protection laws. As part of the Rakuten Group, Viki relies on the Rakuten Binding Corporate Rules to safeguard international data transfers within the group. The Rakuten Binding Corporate Rules have been approved with the Data Protection Authority of Luxembourg acting as the lead authority and can be found at https://corp.rakuten.co.jp/privacy/en/bcr.html.
- Legal basis for processing your Personal Information.If you are visiting from the EU, We must have a legal basis to process your Personal Information.
- There are different legal bases that We rely on to use your Personal Information, namely:
- Performance of a contract. The use of your information may be necessary to perform the terms and conditions or other contractual obligations and policies under which We provide our Services to you;
- Legitimate interests. We use your Personal Information for Our legitimate interests to improve our Services, security purposes, and to share information with Our affiliates for internal administration. In such circumstances it is for Us to ensure that these interests are not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms; and
- Legal obligation and public interest. In some cases, We may also have a legal obligation to collect your Personal Information, or may otherwise need your Personal Information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
- We process your Personal Information on, for example, the following legal bases:
- Registration and authentication.We process your Registration Information to enable you to create an account, to authenticate your identity when you login to Our Services and to administrate your account based on performance of a contract.
- Profile Management. We process your Profile Information you may provide to Us to provide you with more personalized user experience based on legitimate interest.
- Our Service. We process your Personal Information to provide you with Our content through Our Services based on performance of a contract.
- Payment Processing. We process your Payment Information and Transactional Information to enable you to access to Our subscription plans based on performance of a contract.
- Marketing. We may contact you with marketing and offers related to Our Services, if you consent.
- Communication and Support. We may process your Personal Information in order to communicate with you about Our Services, and to respond or resolve your support requests based on legitimate interest.
- Service Improvement. We process your Personal Information to conduct research and analytics for further development and improvement of Our Services.
- Security and Legal. We process your Personal Information to comply with legal obligations to which We are subject and cooperate with regulators and law enforcement bodies and for security purposes, based on legitimate interest and legal obligations.
- Your Choices under EU law. If you are visiting from the EU, you may have certain rights, in accordance with the applicable local law and limitations, including the right to access your Personal Information; to rectify the information We hold about you; to erase your Personal Information; to restrict our use of your Personal Information; to object to our use of your Personal Information; and to receive your Personal Information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability). If contacting Us does not resolve your complaint, you have the right to make a complaint to your data protection authority.
- Rights applicable to California RightsIf you are a California resident, you may request a list of all third parties to which Our Services have disclosed certain Personal Information during the preceding year for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact Us at email@example.com, and ensure to include the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code.
We care about the security of your Personal Information. We implement technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk to the Personal Information We process. These measures are aimed at ensuring the on-going integrity and confidentiality of your Personal Information. However, no company can guarantee that data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of Our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. We need your help too: it is your responsibility to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate and that your password is unique, secure and not shared with third parties.
We will keep your Personal Information for as long as We have a relationship with you. We will only retain your Personal Information after this time if We are required to do so to comply with the local law, or if there are outstanding claims or complaints that will reasonably require your Personal Information to be retained.
Our Services are not intended for children under the age of 13, or other minimum age for providing consent to data collection under local law. Therefore, We do not knowingly collect Personal Information via Our Services from anyone under 13 (or such other minimum age as may be restricted under local law). If a parent or a guardian believes that Viki has in its database the Personal Information of a child under the age of 13, please contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org..